CDC Report: Nurses, Assistants Most Injury-Prone In Healthcare

According to a new report by the CDC, nurses and nursing assistants have the most dangerous and injury-prone jobs. The CDC report reveals that nurses and nursing assistants accounted for nearly 60% of all identified OSHA-recordable injuries from 2012 to 2014. These injuries are typically caused by a number of factors, including overweight/obese and acutely ill patients, high patient-to-nurse ratios, long shifts, and efforts to mobilize patients almost immediately after medical interventions. Between 2012 and 2014, 4,674 out of 10,680 injuries involved patient handling and movement. Workplace violence rates have also nearly doubled for nurses and nurse assistants. In order to mitigate injuries, the CDC advises using lifting equipment, proper training, and establishing a safety culture that emphasizes continuous improvement.

Click here to read more.

Advertisements

Preparing The American Healthcare System For An Aging Population

The U.S. health system is currently coping with a rapidly growing aging population. In lieu of this, researchers are looking at hospital discharge data to better understand how older Americans navigate the healthcare system, and when they are the most in need of long-term care. According to a new report by the National Center of Health Statistics released earlier this week, people age 85 and older made up nearly 10 percent of all hospital discharges in 2010 despite accounting for just 2 percent of the population. People in the 85 or older age group are also significantly less likely to go home once they are discharged from the hospital, commonly being admitted into nursing homes at a higher rate than people even 10 years younger. Complications, including the common hip fracture (usually the result of falling), is the primary reason why people in this age group needed to go to the hospital in the first place. For people age 85 and older, hip fractures are nearly three times higher than people just one decade younger. Researchers note that going forward, a growing percentage of our population will be in the 85-and-older age group.

Click here to read more.

CDC Pushes Towards a Healthier Youth

As the school year approaches, nutrition and health policies are continuing to be implemented into school districts nationwide, according to a report released Monday from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The majority of school districts now have menus available, combined with caloric information and helpful tips about food safety and nutritious eating. Since 2000, the number of school districts that has made this information available has increased by 17.4 percentage points, to 52.7 in total.

Since 2000, school are also pushing for physical education programs to begin at an earlier age, resulting in an 11 percent increase (up to 93.6 percent) in the number of districts required to incorporate physical education programs.

Click here to read more

Smoking Rate Declines

HMS Healthcare Management SolutionsAccording to a recent report by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), the smoking rate for adults in the United States went down for the first time in seven years last year. The data was collected from a survey of 35,000 U.S. adults who have smoked more than 100 cigarettes in their lifetime and pick up a cigarette just about every day.

Click here to read more.

Fewer Families Struggling With Medical Bills

A new report suggests the cost of healthcare may be slowing as fewer families find themselves struggling to pay their medical bills. According to the survey by the National Center for Health Statistics, approximately 20% of families had trouble paying medical bills in the first half of 2012, down from 22% in the same period a year earlier.  The decrease translates to about 3.6 million people.

Click here to read more.

13% Of Calories Come From Added Sugars

HMS Healthcare Management SolutionsAccording to data released by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) earlier today, about 13% of adult daily caloric intakes come from added sugars, with almost two-thirds (67%) of coming from food and the other third (33%) coming from beverages.

Click here to read more.

Study Finds Overuse Of Antibiotics

A new study by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) finds U.S. doctors are prescribing enough antibiotics to give them to 4 out of 5 Americans every year. The findings, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, conclude the rate leads to overuse which makes antibiotics lose their punch and infections harder to treat.

Click here to read more.