Summertime usually means that people will be outdoors enjoying the warm weather. If you decide to bust out the grill, read below for some tips that are healthy for your heart!
- Fish: Especially oily fish like tuna, salmon and trout have great nutritional benefits including omega-3 fatty acids. Bring out the flavor using healthy ingredients such as lemon juice and parsley or rosemary.
- Make a better burger: if you’re grilling burgers, be sure to buy lean or extra lean beef, drain off the excess fat after cooking and avoid making huge patties – remember that a serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards (3 oz). Add finely chopped green pepper to your beef to get in some veggies.
- Baked fries: Slice white or sweet potatoes into sticks, lightly spray with olive oil cooking spray, pepper and paprika and bake on a cookie sheet for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Veggie kabobs: load up skewers with mushrooms, peppers, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash or other veggies. Spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray and grill until slightly blackened.
- Try grilled corn on the cob: leave the husks on, and grill for about 30 minutes over medium flame, rotating occasionally. Remove from grill, let cool for about 5 minutes, remove husks and enjoy!
- Rack em’: Use a rack so that the fatty contents drip away from the food.
For more tips for a healthy heart click here
Source: The American Heart Association