According to Yale News, hospital readmissions for older patients cost American taxpayers more than $15 billion per year. Also, one in five Americans end up back in the hospital within thirty days discharge. Rosalind D’Egenio’s six tips for reducing hospital readmissions include:
- partnering with community physicians
- partnering with local hospitals
- assigning responsibility for medication reconciliation to nurses
- sending patients home from the hospital with an outpatient follow-up appointment already made;
- having a process in place to send all discharge or electronic summaries directly to the patient’s primary care physician;
- assigning staff to follow up on test results after the patient is discharged.
Click here to read more